[webkit-dev] DRT/WTR should clear the cache at the beginning of each test?

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Fri Nov 2 09:33:29 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at apple.com> wrote:

> This will mean that cache is always almost empty, and all resources in it
> are extremely fresh. I don't know if this would provide substantial
> additional test coverage over cleaning the cache all the time, or just
> completely disabling it in WebKitTestRunner.

Certain areas of coverage would improve. The code paths taken when a
resource is restored from the memory cache can be quite different from the
usual loading. Many operations (like script execution) happen synchronously
if the resource is found from the cache. We reuse various decoded forms
(bitmaps, stylesheets, jsc parse structures, likely more in the future).
All data is available in single chunk. It is possible to write tests that
detect these differences (and it is possible that some tests hit them
accidentally).

We would still lose coverage for things that depend on having lots of
resources around like cache pruning.

   antti