[webkit-dev] Using ref tests for repaint bugs

Andrei Bucur andrei.bucur at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:43:33 PDT 2012

Ojan,

As Simon states, some repaint tests will likely not be possible to write
correctly as ref tests, but some of them I think they fit very well in the
happy-no-pixel-test bucket :). If people decide it's a direction worth
investigating, I'll give the idea a spin.

Simon,

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com>wrote:

> I think this will be too fragile. It relies on the fact that a subsequent
> paint won't obscure the repaint bug that you're trying to detect.
>
> I'm much rather we work towards detecting repaint bugs via dumping the
> list of repaint rectangles. I don't think every test has to be a ref test.

Don't the pixel tests face the same kind of risk, of a subsequent paint
masking the repaint bug? Preserving this risk, but reducing the maintenance
cost for the test is still an important improvement.

Thanks,
Andrei.