[webkit-dev] Importing W3C tests to webkit

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Wed May 23 15:13:51 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> Are you concerned just about the actual pixel results or also about keeping render tree dumps up to date?

Both are more maintenance than a text-only test. In my experience,
maintaining pixel tests is more expensive, but I also don't have any
experience maintaining a non-pixel-test-running port.

> We can address the pixel result issue by introducing a new test that dumps its render tree but does not do pixel testing.

Yes, it might make sense to do this (although it's not obvious to me
how we would do this without modifying the test sources). Maybe we
would need to maintain a separate manifest or some other list
somewhere to indicate which dirs or tests should include pixel
results.

> I think there is a high value to importing standards test suites wholesale, even if they overlap with our existing coverage. Picking and choosing subsets makes things  more complicated. If there are significant externalities to adding particular kinds of tests, I would prefer we mitigate those externalities rather than run fewer tests.

I'm not a fan of importing subsets of tests :).

-- Dirk