[webkit-dev] Deprecation of CSSStyleDeclaration -> getPropertyShorthand method.

Pavel Feldman pfeldman at chromium.org
Mon May 21 13:29:33 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> Yup, no reason for it to be exposed any more. It was just needed way back
> when the Inspector used JS.
>
> dave
> (hyatt at apple.com)
>
> On May 21, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Alexis Menard wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I don't know of any reason for this to exist other than for benefit of
> the inspector. It appears to no longer be used by the Web Inspector,
> thought it has its own function with the same name (assuming I am reading
> the code right). It would be fine to stop exposing it to the web if it is
> in fact unused or hardly used.
> >
> > I was looking at the code of the inspector and also assuming I'm
> > reading the code right it is not used.
> >
> > The C++ method getPropertyShorthand seems to be used in
> > InspectorStyleSheet.cpp which then is used in
> > inspector/front-end/CSSStyleModel.js and its usage seems to be
> > confined in styleTextWithShorthands which is not used anywhere (at at
> > least grep says so).

styleTextWithShorthands looks like dead code, I'll remove it shortly. But
there also is a valid usage at
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/inspector/InspectorStyleSheet.cpp#L543.
Now that we are based on the CSS source code model, it can probably go
away, but it is not a trivial task.

Regards
Pavel