[webkit-dev] Simplifying syntax in test_expectations.txt (bug 86691)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu May 17 16:21:49 PDT 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>>> We might have to agree to disagree here, then, but that's fine.
>>>
>>> If there was a clear consensus that one style or another is better, we
>>> should go with that.
>>
>> Which you like better esthetically may be a matter of taste. But it's an objective, scientifically established fact that all-caps text is harder to read than lowercase or mixed case, and reduces reading speed:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps#Readability
>> http://uxmovement.com/content/all-caps-hard-for-users-to-read/
>>

> Ooo! Citation fight!
>
> http://www.whatmakesthemclick.net/2009/12/23/100-things-you-should-know-about-people-19-its-a-myth-that-all-capital-letters-are-inherently-harder-to-read/
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ctfonts/wordrecognition.aspx

Your citations do not contradict mine. They dispute the mechanism that makes people read all-caps text slower, not the fact that it happens. Even if it's true that in theory people could be trained to read all-caps text just as quickly, I think it is unwise to make text files that require this uncommon skill.

Regards,
Maciej