[webkit-dev] Simplifying syntax in test_expectations.txt (bug 86691)

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Thu May 17 14:34:28 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:

>>> I don't think anyone else has opposed, and this has been complaints from
>>> many people who have complained about the current syntax (See Darin & Ben's
>>> rationalize to keep the delimiters if our goal is to accommodate their
>>> needs.
>>>

>> I would like for us to move forward on the subset of things we can all
>> agree on so that we can focus the rest of the bikeshedding on a smaller
>> number of issues.
>>

> But then we won't be solving the problem that some people find the current
> syntax confusing.
>
> Replacing BUGCR12345/BUGWK12345 by URLs sound like a good idea. Moving
> SKIP/WONTFIX after test names also sound like a good idea. However, they
> aren't things people have complained about. On the other hand, people have,
> and repeatedly have, complained about delimiters on mailing lists and at
> the contributors' meeting.

I'm just trying to make forward progress on the things we agree on.

If someone makes a proposal that most people are happy with, then we can do
that. But if we can't find such a proposal, then changing syntax to appease
some people and make other people upset seems like unnecessary churn (e.g.
now every developer who is already accustomed to the current format needs
to make sense of the new one). So far, there has yet to be a proposal that
doesn't have significant objections that addresses the problems you care
about.

Ojan