[webkit-dev] Simplifying syntax in test_expectations.txt (bug 86691)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Thu May 17 12:35:51 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps aligning the fields column after the bug URL would improve
>> readability (though it makes things a little harder to edit):
>>
>> We certainly could. We treat \s+ as \s anyway so we have a lot of freedom
> here. However, aligning things using whitespace in test_expectations.txt is
> just as problematic in C++ code because the modifiers and platforms can
> grow:
> e.g. Pass Image+Text Image Crash Timeout (SnowLeopard Leopard Linux Win7
> Debug)

Yeah, this is my worry too.  None of the options (have ridiculously wide
columns, have some rules split across multiple lines, have some rules
violate the alignment) seems terribly appealing.  If we knew we could
restrict the platforms and expectations to a small horizontal space, I
think this would work nicely, but to do that we might need to move to
cryptic abbreviations :/

PK