[webkit-dev] spamming the developer console

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Fri May 11 14:29:24 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:
> > The amount of spam we throw in the developer console has grown quite a
> bit.
> >
> > spam == things logged to the console that web developers have no control
> > over
> >
> > Unlike uncaught javascript exceptions (which can easily just be caught),
> > there is no way to prevent the following from cluttering your console:
> > -clientX/clientY deprecation warning
> > -setting the fragment on a frame URL [1]
>
> ^^^ Why isn't this a bug that developers would want to fix?

For example, in some code I just wrote, I append an iframe to the DOM, then
at some later point set its src. When I append the iframe to the DOM, it
tries to load about:blank, which CSP disallows. I could restructure the
code to not append the iframe until I know what it's source will be, but it
makes the code more complicated than it needs to be. The only downside to
appending it first is this warning.