[webkit-dev] Default viewport value on WAP DTDs

Kenneth Rohde Christiansen kenneth.christiansen at gmail.com
Sat May 5 04:58:32 PDT 2012

Hi there,

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:
> I see. That's unfortunate. I don't really know the best path forward here.
> I'm inclined to agree with Alexey that we should at least try to standardize
> this before committing code. It's not clear to me where this should be
> specced. Easiest path forward is to make this proposal to both
> whatwg at whatwg.org for the HTML spec and www-style at w3.org for the CSS Device
> Adaptation spec.

I will pass it by the CSS Device Adaptation spec first as I really
think it fits there.

> We'll see what the response there is and can decide what to do next based
> off that response. Does that sound OK?

I think we will add a feature flag for now, together with layout tests
for a document with XHTML-MP doctype using and not using fixed
layouting.

> I'm reluctant to make a change like this, but it sounds like there might not
> be a better choice. One concern I have is how many sites would break due to
> this behavior? For example, will this fix sites on N9, but break them on
> Android/iOS or are these wapforum doctypes never sent to Android/iOS because
> of UA-sniffing?

It can only break browsers respecting the viewport meta and using
fixed layouting in some way, those currently mobile browsers. As far
as I heard Android and iOS are using similar tricks but they seldom
get the pages due to UA sniffing. I already tried contacting the
Android team.

Cheers,
Kenneth

Phone  +45 4093 0598 / E-mail kenneth at webkit.org