[webkit-dev] Default viewport value on WAP DTDs

Kenneth Rohde Christiansen kenneth.christiansen at gmail.com
Fri May 4 09:18:08 PDT 2012

I think this relates more to the CSS Device Adaptation spec. Desktop
browser so far ignores the viewport meta tag, where as mobile browsers
do not.

The thing is that a default viewport information is inserted when the
viewport meta tag is missing, which most current mobile browsers then
layouts using a width of around 980 (can differ from browser to
browser). This is done as it handles desktop pages quite well.

Most XHTML-MP pages on the other hand assume that they are being laid
out using the width of the mobile device, which is often far lower
then 980 (especially as high resolution mobile devices adjust the
device-pixel-ratio).

Kenneth