[webkit-dev] Feature Announcement: Adding <iframe seamless>

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed May 2 11:03:54 PDT 2012

On May 2, 2012, at 6:14 AM, Jarred Nicholls <jarred at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

> I'm not too picky about how it's done, but I'd feel more comfortable with #ifdef protecting the code changes rather than if(). If the changes are so entangled that it's not easy to put only the changes in an ifdef, then I would be skeptical that they actually have no possible effect on the non-seamless case.
>
> Do we not have sufficient tests to lend us more confidence in this area?

There's no amount of automated testing that would make me comfortable with landing a major feature today and shipping it to customers tomorrow (exaggerated case, but this is the kind of thing we're talking about).

Nearly every significant feature has had security holes or site compatibility issues discovered post-landing, even if it passes all tests. That's why things like this need bake time; it can take from a few weeks to a few months of being enabled on trunk for a new feature to get really solid. This is not a disparagement of anyone's coding skills or test coverage, that's just the reality. The problems that take a while to flush out can often be issues due to specific sites doing unexpected and strange things.

Because we don't have a centralized release schedule for WebKit, that means there isn't necessarily a single window that is a good time for all vendors to take such a risk. That is why ifdefs are valuable even if a feature is ready to be on by default in testing builds like WebKit nightlies or Chromium canary channel.

Regards,
Maciej