[webkit-dev] Problem In Compiling Webkit in Debug mode : failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Fri Mar 23 16:22:05 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 12:08 +0200, John Yani wrote:
> WebKit's codebase increases every day, so It's not strange that it
> requires more and more memory to link.

The maintainer of the WebKitGTK+ package in Ubuntu told me about a
linker switch they are using to avoid problems when building in 32 bits
systems:

       --no-keep-memory
           ld normally optimizes for speed over memory usage by caching the
           symbol tables of input files in memory.  This option tells ld to
           instead optimize for memory usage, by rereading the symbol tables
           as necessary.  This may be required if ld runs out of memory space
           while linking a large executable.

Notice that that seems to only work for GNU ld - the gold linker has
this as a no-op for compatibility only.

Cheers,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>