[webkit-dev] ChangeLogs

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Wed Mar 21 16:26:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Timothy Hatcher <timothy at apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2012, at 3:14 PM, Dirk Pranke wrote:
>
> I think this is a reasonable suggestion, but I don't agree with it :).
> I would prefer that we try to get good changelogs through culture and
> convention rather than through good tooling.
>
> This is of course based on my experience in my changes and the types
> of changes I review, but I personally find what value there is at all
> in ChangeLogs in the paragraphs at the top of the change, and I find
> the lists of changed files and to be distracting noise far more often
> than not. (Perhaps things are different in changes to the core
> rendering code than changes to tooling and test code).
>

> I find the comments useful, even for scripts. ChangeLogs for tests are often
> more mundane.

I should clarify that I do find value in describing the why of the
change, so I could agree w/ Maciej that requiring *something* more
than the subject + bug + reviewer might be justified for changes. Just
linking to a bug would be overly terse.

My annoyance with ChangeLogs stems from just integrating them into my
workflow (which often involves multiple pipelined changes and/or lots
of merging and rebasing), but that's off-topic for this thread. I am
also sometimes annoyed by ChangeLogs when a change happens to span
multiple ChangeLogs and I either have to repeat myself or figure out
how to split my description between the files, which is slightly more
on-topic.

Mostly I just don't want there to be a lot of boilerplate or noise in
the ChangeLogs.

-- Dirk