[webkit-dev] Git/SVN is slow

Dana Jansens danakj at chromium.org
Sat Mar 17 07:09:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM, William Siegrist <wsiegrist at apple.com>wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> > As I stated on this thread, I was getting reasonable download speed from
> svn and others at home (Comcast business in SF). You may want to compare my
> traceroute to others and see if there's a difference.
> >

> I have been comparing them and do not see a pattern. I've gotten reports
> of people both near and far having both fast and slow downloads, and the
> problem has been reported against more than 1 service and more than 1 piece
> of hardware.

I've found the problem to be intermittent. I'm typically pulling about 5-10
kB/s, but occasionally/rarely pull over 1MB/s.

I had at first assumed it was load on the server causing the problem,
because you can tell it's going to be a slow one when you get 75% through
the "compressing objects" stage of a git fetch, which is all on the server
AIUI, and it starts to crawl already.

- Dana