[webkit-dev] exporting symbols for building .so/.dll's

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Sun Mar 11 13:20:33 PDT 2012

On 11/03/2012 18:13, Adam Barth wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Ami Fischman<fischman at chromium.org>  wrote:
>> I'm inclined to give this thread one more business day and then call it
>> Tuesday morning pacific time.
>> On current showing I think the approach in the patch on the bug (incl.
>> morrita@'s preference for WEBCORE_EXPORT_PRIVATE) is the way to go, at least
>> for now.
>> If you have strong concerns please speak up before then.
> I'm not sure I understand your proposal fully.  Specifically, how
> would these macros work for, say, the Chromium, Apple-Mac, and
> Apple-Win ports, which export overlapping, but not identical, sets of
> symbols?
>
> Adam

I have some questions to add to Adam's.

Doesn't the list of exports change massively based on the level of
inlining and compiler optimisation? Which configuration is the target to
aim for, and which compiler vendor? This should be documented.

Doesn't the list also change between releases of the same compiler?

If so, are the export lists still really a better option than, say,
generating the export lists by analysis of nm/objdump at compile time,
or maintaining export lists manually?

If the export macros are enforced, will it become the responsibility of
patch authors or committers to choose the correct places to add them?

If so, such a responsibility should also be documented.

--
http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts