[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Mar 10 15:35:17 PST 2012

I think one factor that makes many people stick with SVN is that emulating the SVN-style workflow in Git is pretty complicated. Let's consider a typical SVN user's process:

1) Develop one patch at a time.
2) During development, often update his sources to match the repository.
3) When done, create a patch and get it reviewed.
4) When the patch is reviewed, commit it.

The interaction with the version-control system for each of these steps is an obvious single step with SVN. With git, for at least some of these, you will end up needing multiple non-obvious (to an SVN user anyway) commands. All of your examples below for step 2 are complicated and have surprising side effects.

The usual responses to this concern are either "you can write a script to wrap that" or "you should just change your workflow to get the full power of git". But neither of these answers is very persuasive to a person happy with the above workflow. When we had to do the CVS to SVN transition, there was no hesitation because everyone could still use the exact same workflow, but now it was also possible to do more stuff.

I do think that with the right project-wide scripts we could abstract away from the VCS a little and make the transition less painful. I do most of my patch creation and committing with webkit-patch(*) these days, because it actually saves steps over the raw tools. However, update-webkit, which handles the remaining SVN-like workflow step, doesn't follow any of the approaches, instead it does this:

sub runGitUpdate()
{
    # Doing a git fetch first allows setups with svn-remote.svn.fetch = trunk:refs/remotes/origin/master
    # to perform the rebase much much faster.
    system("git", "fetch") == 0 or die;
    if (isGitSVN()) {
        system("git", "svn", "rebase") == 0 or die;
    } else {
        # This will die if branch.$BRANCHNAME.merge isn't set, which is
        # almost certainly what we want.
        system("git", "pull") == 0 or die;
    }
}

Perhaps improving runGitUpdate() would be one way to make it easier for more people to try Git.

Regards,
Maciej

(*) I'm not sure offhand if webkit-patch land will take care of all three of the steps of adding, committing and pushing/dcommiting which the SVN-like workflow treats as a single step.