[webkit-dev] UPDATED Re: Version control survey

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Sat Mar 10 13:20:14 PST 2012

I do think that we should also be considering what the responders are doing -- eg. do you work mostly on the core engine (WebCore, JSC, etc) vs. platform specific engine work (eg. WebCore/platform/graphics/{cg,cairo,skia,backendofdoom}) vs. WebKit API stuff vs. release branching, etc

I think it would be worth tracking these differences for a number of reasons
* There are a number of reviewers who don't do substantial amounts of work directly in the repo anymore, longterm apple and google contributors who no longer work exclusively on webkit (on that note do we want to have some kind of reviewer expiration?)
* Fairly elitist, but surely the opinion of people who work on core engine tech should have more say than people working on the periphery: core engine work benefits _everyone_ so I feel more weight should be given there
* The needs of a contributor are fairly strongly influenced by what they're doing -- people working on build release branches, etc frequently want to do the sorts of things that git is far better at than svn, but people just working on single monolithic patches seem to prefer  svn.
* A problem we these kinds of survey is that they are inherently biased in favour of people who want change, people who don't tend to ignore them - I had basically been ignoring this thread because it was going on and on and on without actually adding any new information over the last git vs. svn debate, had done nothing to change my mind, etc - i feel that I am not alone in this kind of mental exhaustion (see http://webkitmemes.tumblr.com/post/19019677135/webkit-dev-this-week)

Finally: I use git-svn, it allows me to do everything that I want to do that git is meant to be good at, so I'm not sure why people keep saying that the choice is between sticking with svn, or making  everyone switch to git.  My counter argument to "git-svn is slow so we should all use git" is "git-svn is slow and this annoys me so i'm going to contribute patches to git to fix that".

--Oliver