[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Mar 9 17:55:59 PST 2012

On Mar 9, 2012 3:16 PM, "Pablo Flouret" <pablof at motorola.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:47:17 -0800, Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>
wrote:
>> Tbh, I am much more interested in doing away with ChangeLogs than in
>> feeling good about using git push instead of git svn dcommit. If we
>> could find a way around ChangeLogs while keeping svn, then I would be an
>> even happier panda than I am today =).
>
> +1

We can do this without moving to git. Here's how it might work:
1. When writing a patch, add a new temporary file e.g. ChangeLogEntry that
stores new change log entry in each directory where ChangeLogs are located.
2. ChangeLogEntry files are added to git/svn checkouts
3. Upload the patch (including ChangeLogEntry) for a review. Bugzilla shows
ChangeLogEntry filesas new files (can be tweeked,of course)
4. Once you get r+, you land the patch. The commit message editor will
automatically find ChangeLogEntry files and aggregate the result as the
commit message.
5. You commit. The commit hook ensures no ChangeLogEntry files are actually
committed into the svn repository.