[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Mar 9 16:01:23 PST 2012

First, a follow up on my old post since my message was cut off in the
middle:
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Joe Mason <jmason at rim.com> wrote:
>
>> This is only slightly more complicated
>

> I'd say astoundingly more complicated because of

the fact that you're unapplying changes, updating the checkout, and
reapplying changes. This seemingly innocent sequence of operations have an
annoying side-effects of touching all files you've modified locally and
haven't committed.

So for example if you have any changes to Node.h and run this set of
operations, then git will touch Node.h twice by stashing and applying. This
would mean that I would be rebuilding the world even if all changes I get
from masters were in webkitpy or LayoutTests.

Are there an easy way to work around this issue as well? (other than
committing changes, of course)

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Ashod Nakashian <ashodnakashian at yahoo.com>wrote:

> After all, what prompted me to raise this issue is because some svn
> scripts are outdated and before fixing them I thought may be there wasn't
> much use for them in the first place (otherwise, someone with a bigger
> contribution volume would certainly have noticed and fixed them sooner than
> me).

I suspect the only reason the particular bug hadn't been fixed is that we
have very few contributors who develop on Windows.

- Ryosuke