[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Fri Mar 9 11:44:44 PST 2012

On 2012-03-09, at 10:23, Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 19:39 -0300, Alexis Menard wrote:
>>> To svn user :
>>> - Conflict resolving much easier and performant than svn (we have
>>> drivers for changelogs and the default one are much better than svn).
>>> - Local history/blaming/...
>>> - Proper diff coloration (though I'm sure you guys have some magic
>>> scripts using colordiff).
>>> - The staging area, upload what you want/need and keep some work local
>>> - Smaller checkouts
>>
>> - Bot maintainers :
>> Power outage or network interruption in the middle of a svn
>> checkout/up lock the repo sometimes and you need to manually svn
>> cleanup the checkout (maybe someone have a tool or script to avoid
>> that???). I had much more svn locked repos than git dead checkout
>> because of interruptions.
>
> /me puts his bot maintainer hat on
>
> That does suck indeed. Been a while since I had to manually intervene,
> but even when it is fixed automatically, the new checkout takes ages
> (because the automatic fix is to rm -rf the whole source tree).

The solution for this would be to teach buildbot run 'svn cleanup' when necessary rather than just assuming the worst and nuking the working copy. This will become trivial to do in future versions of Buildbot as they're moving the logic for how version control operations to the server rather than the slaves, meaning it becomes much easier to update and customize.

- Mark