[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Mar 8 14:29:53 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> It seems like there are a couple of different issues here that affect how we
> do version control. Currently we have an SVN primary repository, some
> contributors use SVN, and others use git via git-svn.
>
> It seems like there are two possible changes we can make, and it is not
> really clear to me which is being advocated:
>
> 1) Offer only a git repository; everyone uses git.
> 2) Use a git central repository; but some form of svn access is provided (is
> this even possible?)

There appear to be scripts on the interweb that would allow access to
a git repo over svn. I would be against doing this here (if we're
going to allow svn access at all, we might as well stay with what we
have).

I believe that a git repo would allow slightly easier cloning and
branching, and would make the overall system more reliable (because we
wouldn't have to worry about the git/svn bridge breaking or getting
corrupted).

I don't think either of these reasons is particularly compelling,
although I have no real insight into the uptime / ops costs of keeping
the two repos in sync vs. only a git repo.

I think the major benefit in moving git-only would be to simplify the
tooling and the documentation for the project (we wouldn't have to
document how to access everything two or three different ways). I am
uncertain but skeptical that the tooling benefit outweighs the cost of
the conversion.

-- Dirk