[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Thu Mar 8 12:45:11 PST 2012

On Thursday 08 March 2012 17:12:47 Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Adam Treat <atreat at rim.com> wrote:
> > There is nothing about git that forces you to have multiple branches
> > locally.  Good practice, yes, but nothing forcing it.  As for the
> > difficulty of resolving conflicts between patches you've made locally and
> > changes made on the shared repository since you started making your local
> > patches... nothing about git makes this any harder.  Unless you have a
> > lock based source control system you'll have to resolve conflicts.
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Joe Mason <jmason at rim.com> wrote:
> > It seems to me that there's no need to use multiple local branches in git
> > if you find it confusing - it's an additional feature, but I don't see
> > anything that requires it.
> >
> > What workflow do you have that requires you to have multiple branches
> > locally in git, and how do you solve it in svn without using branches?
> >
> > What precisely do you find difficult about merging remote changes, and
> > how is the svn equivalent easier?
>
> The simplicity. In git, I have to worry about things like committing local
> changes before rebasing to master, or stashing, etc... In svn, all I have
> to do is to run "svn up".

"git pull" does the same (if no conflicts were found, but the same pain will
happen on svn in case of conflicts)

or "git fetch origin; git rebase origin/master"

I remember the days were I switched from svn to git, blaming git for force me
to type additional commands, today I'm just regrets for the blames and can't
think in another VCS than git :-).

--
Hugo Parente Lima
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia