[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at webkit.org
Thu Mar 8 09:27:42 PST 2012

El jue, 08-03-2012 a las 14:10 -0300, Alexis Menard escribió:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Ashod Nakashian <ashodnakashian at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> In the light of discovering that some SVN scripts have fallen behind in
> >> terms of maintenance[1] and WebKit's strong Git support and infrastructure,
> >> against my better judgement, I'd like to distract you from being productive
> >> by bringing up this topic (again).
> >>
> >> The wiki page of the same name[2] was created 3 years ago and hardly
> >> updated since[3]. I know we're all busy with more important things, but IMHO
> >> I think we can at least update the wiki and perhaps vote on when/how we
> >> should do the eventual transition.
> >>
> >> I understand that while this type of work isn't necessarily very
> >> productive, maintaining two repositories and sets of scripts (with their
> >> docs and issues) has a very real cost as well. I'm proposing we reevaluate
> >> the situation and act accordingly.
> >

> > Re-evaluating the situation is good, but I'm still opposed.
>
> I don't use svn but the only benefit I see of WebKit using svn is the
> linear history, clean, easy to read and to explore. Git repos tend to
> have merging commits a lot and it leads to make bisecting/history
> browsing harder (my taste).

I agree about merging commits, but I think it's possible to enforce all
merges to be fast-forward and without merging commits. In general
browsing git history is easier and cleaner than svn, and more important
it's much faster (my taste :-P)

> Then for everything else I use git and its power locally.

I would be more than happy with the switch :-)

--
Carlos Garcia Campos
http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF3D322D0EC4582C3