[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Thu Mar 8 09:10:06 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Ashod Nakashian <ashodnakashian at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> In the light of discovering that some SVN scripts have fallen behind in
>> terms of maintenance[1] and WebKit's strong Git support and infrastructure,
>> against my better judgement, I'd like to distract you from being productive
>> by bringing up this topic (again).
>>
>> The wiki page of the same name[2] was created 3 years ago and hardly
>> updated since[3]. I know we're all busy with more important things, but IMHO
>> I think we can at least update the wiki and perhaps vote on when/how we
>> should do the eventual transition.
>>
>> I understand that while this type of work isn't necessarily very
>> productive, maintaining two repositories and sets of scripts (with their
>> docs and issues) has a very real cost as well. I'm proposing we reevaluate
>> the situation and act accordingly.
>

> Re-evaluating the situation is good, but I'm still opposed.

I don't use svn but the only benefit I see of WebKit using svn is the
linear history, clean, easy to read and to explore. Git repos tend to
have merging commits a lot and it leads to make bisecting/history
browsing harder (my taste).

Then for everything else I use git and its power locally.

> - Ryosuke

Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer
INdT Recife Brazil