[webkit-dev] Is converting pixel tests to reftests kosher for imported libraries?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Mar 7 16:50:13 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hrm, if the test expectations are customized already for different ports
> of WebKit, then why not support replacing a PNG file with a HTML file that
> is intended to generate exactly the same result?  How does this impair our
> ability to update the tests?
>
> (I realize that our current reftest system may not work like this.  I'm
> not familiar with the details of how it works in fact, but it seems like it
> could be as simple as having an expected result that is a HTML file instead
> of a PNG file.)

How do we know that we are testing what the test is intending to test after
the conversion? e.g. it's possible to create a reference file that fails to
catch certain bugs.

It's not obvious to me how one would figure out how many reference files
are needed for a given test to make sure we're not making the test more
permissible than the author intended it to be.

- Ryosuke