[webkit-dev] Time out issue (>30s) of WebKit layout test [Mac OS]

Balazs Kelemen kbalazs at webkit.org
Fri Jun 29 09:00:56 PDT 2012

On 06/29/2012 05:40 PM, Brady Eidson wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2012, at 11:57 PM, Horky Chen <horky at sina.com
> <mailto:horky at sina.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mac OS, if one time-out larger than 30s would be used,
>> --time-out-ms cannot work well.
>>
>> According to the run-webkit-tests script, custom Time-Out can be
>> assigned for each test case. But, unfortunately, below line in
>> LayoutTestControllerMac.mm blocked the setting if it is larger than
>> 30s (waitUntilDone & notifyDone are used):
>>     static const CFTimeInterval waitToDumpWatchdogInterval = 30.0;

I think this is just the default, WebKitTestRunner has a --timeout that
should control this if given. If that's not the case than it seems like
a bug for me. On the other hand, I don't think run-webkit-tests supports
setting custom timeout for a particular test.

>> That is hard code, and no parameter can be accepted to adjust it.
>> There are two time-out settings for one test case, is it possible to
>> use common time-out setting?

The two timeouts have slightly different purpose. The interval of the
watchdog timer in the driver (in WebKitTestRunner) can detect if the
test is slow (the web process don't finish in the interval). In this
case we can rely on the driver and there is no need to restart it
(because it is still responsive, just the test takes too much time). The
timeout of the test harness (run-webkit-tests) take into action when the
driver become unresponsive, and in this case it is necessary to restart it.