[webkit-dev] Can we distinguish imported tests in LayoutTests/css3 ?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Jun 12 13:02:24 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>  > The last time we had this discussion, the consensus appeared to be
> renaming it to RegressionTests.
>
> I still like that name.
>
> > Are you suggesting that we have LayoutTests/W3C?
>
> Yes. Something like RegressionTests/ImportedTests/W3C.

I don't like that. Because then we'll be placing tests for one component in
multiple directories. e.g. if I'm modifying CSS parser and wanted to check
if my WIP is sane or not, I want to be able to run all tests for the CSS
component (of course, I'll need to run the entire layout test before
submitting the final patch).

If we added a top-level imported tests directory, then potentially I would
have to run a command like:
run-webkit-tests CSS ImportedTests/W3C/CSS* ImportedTests/Mozilla/CSS

I'd much prefer a solution where organize imported tests under each
component so that we'll have structures like:
RegressionTests

   - CSS
      - W3C
         - CSS1
         - CSS2.1
         - CSS3
      - Mozilla
         - Bidi
      - DOM
      - W3C
         - DOM-Level-1
         - DOM-Level-2

So that I can all tests for the CSS component by simply:
run-webkit-tests CSS

> we have at least 15 test running scripts
>
> Too many!

Yeah, I would like to reduce that number if possible. For example,
different kinds of API test runners can probably be merged into single
run-webkit-api-tests that takes various flags like --gtk and --qt much like
run-webkit-tests.

- Ryosuke