[webkit-dev] No (was Re: can we stop using Skipped files?)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Jun 11 23:45:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:
> > I believe most if not all of the ports have started using either
> > TestExpectations files or a combination of TestExpectations files
> > (except for the Apple Win port).
> >
> > Can we explicitly switch to the TestExpectations files at this point
> > and drop support for Skipped files on the other ports (and perhaps
> > disable old-run-webkit-tests for all but apple win)?
> >
> > If not, what needs to happen so that we can do that? Do we need to
> > land more of the discussed changes to the syntax of the
> > TestExpectations file? Anything else?
> >
> > It would be nice to get rid of the complexity (both in the code and in
> > our heads) if we can.
> >

> It is clear that we're not at the point where we can stop using
> Skipped files yet. There appear to be at least two things that need to
> be done, before we reach that point, let alone remove ORWT (which is
> clearly right off the table right now).
>
> First, NRWT appears to still be missing some functionality, and that
> is keeping some people on ORWT. I was not aware of this, so thanks to
> those of you that have pointed this out. Please keep the bugs and
> feature requests coming! I have filed bug 88680 to track such issues.
>
> Second, it appears that some people feel strongly that NRWT "less
> hackable" than ORWT, and that this is a significant issue for them. I
> was not aware of this, at least not that it was a significant issue. I
> have filed bug 88841 to track any suggestions or improvements people
> might have for fixing this.
>
> Given the above, it seems that we can't yet switch to TestExpectations
> files, but ...
>
> There is another option: we could change ORWT to read the
> TestExpectations files instead and just honor the SKIP entries
> (ignoring the other expectations). Is that something we should
> consider?

That seems like a nice intermediate step so that people don't have to
maintain both files. I would aruge, however, that we should simplify the
syntax for SKIP entries (it should no mean block the work to make ORWT
support TestExpectations but it's probably easier to simplify the syntax
before ORWT supports it).

- Ryosuke