[webkit-dev] Using the WebExposed keyword for web-facing changes

Peter Beverloo peter at chromium.org
Fri Jun 8 13:24:32 PDT 2012

Hi webkit-dev,

*If you work on web-facing features, or run into another bug which does,
please consider adding the **"**WebExposed**"** keyword to it.*

Many of you will be familiar with my WebKit updates, which are now also
being published on the WebKit blog. Writing these involves reading every
commit that lands in WebKit's repository. Last year, May counted 2,126
revisions. This year there were 3,068. As a result of the steep increase in
volume, it's becoming increasingly hard for all parties to keep up --
Web(Kit) developers, ports and all other interested parties. Not every one
of them has time to read through all changes.

In an effort to increase visibility of Web Platform facing changes, I'd
like to introduce the "WebExposed" keyword. It is intended to be applied to
any bug which introduces, modifies (including behavioral changes) or
removes features important to Web developers, such as DOM properties and
methods, JavaScript features and CSS properties and values.

https://bugs.webkit.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=WebExposed

Increased visibility of these changes has a number of advantages.

Firstly, Web Developers will have more insight in what's happening in
WebKit. The changes will be visible on the bug list itself, but also
through the RSS feed Bugzilla will curate for it.

Furthermore, it may be used as an overview for ports to keep track of the
web-facing changes which happen during their release cycles, and it will
also come in useful for evangelizing features, writing documentation and
managing outreach. With work being done by many vendors in many areas of
WebCore, I'm hoping the keyword can become a valuable aid in this respect.

If you work on web-facing features, or run into another bug which does,
please consider adding the "WebExposed" keyword to it. This of course isn't
mandatory, but it will help others who are interested in keeping track.

Thanks,
Peter