[webkit-dev] Renaming DumpRenderTree to WebKitTestRunner or merging those two

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Jun 3 18:10:17 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>>> While you're right that it's somewhat of a layer violation to define the
>>> IDL for layoutTestController, WebCoreTestSupport appears to be the most
>>> logical place to share files between DumpRenderTree and WebKitTestRunner at
>>> the moment unless we're going to create another project/library in Tools.
>>>
>>> The downside is that they would be using internal WebCore interfaces
>>> instead of the public interface as originally intended. I do not think that
>>> is a good change, nor does it seem required just to share more code.
>>>

>> Are you referring to things like JSValueRef? If JS* functions are
>> supposed to be tested in DumpRenderTree, then that's a good argument
>> against this approach.
>>

> JavaScriptCore has a bunch of tests for its API independent of
> DumpRenderTree.  I suspect Maciej's point is more about having
> DumpRenderTree use public rather than private interfaces so that it's
> easier for JavaScriptCore to change its private interfaces.
>
> Have you looked at adding a V8 backend to the code generator that
> WebKitTestRunner is using currently?  My guess is that it will be much
> simpler than CodeGeneratorV8.pm because WebKitTestRunner doesn't have deal
> with all the exciting variety was have in the web platform.
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Tools/WebKitTestRunner/InjectedBundle/Bindings/CodeGeneratorTestRunner.pmhasn't changed in 17 months, so I wouldn't expect an
> ongoing maintenance issue.

Yes. But there was a recent discussion about supporting V8 in
WebKitTestRunner where Sam objected to it citing that doing so will clutter
the WTR's codebase. I have no problem with creating a V8 backend if Sam
doesn't mind introducing V8 equivalent there.

However, the real difficulty is in sharing files between WebKitTestRunner
and DumpRenderTree, and modifying 11? build configurations we have for
DumpRenderTree.

- Ryosuke