[webkit-dev] webkit2 with v8

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Fri Jun 1 10:29:40 PDT 2012

They may have a desire for it, but certainly not a need -- Webkit includes a well maintained, guaranteed ABI stable JS engine that works on _all_ architectures, with a high performance JIT support available on numerous architectures and OS's.  Being able to support two engines just in webcore has added substantial complexity to the codebase, and has led to many features being implemented only for one engine but not the other.  There is a very large and substantial cost to this, and very little actual benefit.

We have repeatedly stated that support for JS engines other than that provided by webkit is not a primary goal of webkit, and ports that wish to make use of any other engines do so at their own risk, and there attempts to do so can't interfere with the actual webkit project.

--Oliver