[webkit-dev] Multiple inheritance in the DOM

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Jul 26 15:43:47 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns at adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/12 3:15 PM, "Adam Barth" <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns at adobe.com> wrote:
> >
> >On 7/26/12 2:36 PM, "Adam Barth" <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> >>

> >>Discussing this issue with Sam in #webkit, we wondered whether another
> >>solution is to not implement the CSSOM for Regions.  Is there are strong
> >>use case for having this CSSOM in the first place?

> >There are strong use cases for the object model for CSS Regions. Adobe has
> >projects we'd like to base on CSS Regions, and script access  will be
> >vital for these efforts. We've also been building prototypes of other CSS
> >extensions using the CSS Regions OM. I understand that there are projects
> >based on IE10's version of CSS Regions where script access is required.
> >And in general I'd rather avoid adding new things to the platform that are
> >opaque to scripting.
> >
> >That all seems very vague.  Can you explain what you have in mind?
>
> Here's a few:
>
> 1. Modifying the region chain based on content changes or window resizing.
> This could involve adding or removing CSS Regions, or changing region
> geometry.
> 2. Handing events on named flow contents - using the OM to determine the
> CSS Region(s) that contain the content.
> 3. Layout extensions implemented via script (script-based layout
> constraints can change region chain geometry).
> 4. Paginated views that use script to navigate or search (use the OM to
> determine the page to display).

Again, I feel like I'm running up against my lack of knowledge about
Regions.  It seems to resolve this issue, we need someone who understands
the benefits of this feature as well as the implementation costs.  So far,
I'm not sure we've found such a person.  As a consequence, we're unable to
make an informed decision.

Adam