[webkit-dev] WebDriver support in WebKit

Žan Doberšek zandobersek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 07:12:20 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Ken Kania <kkania at chromium.org> wrote:

> The WebDriver w3c spec <http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-webdriver-20120710/> was
> recently published as a first public working draft.  The primary goal of
> the API is to enable website testing from a user's perspective (finding
> elements, typing, clicking).  Like the WebKit Inspector, WebDriver hopes to
> aid developers in the process of developing/testing their website.

Could it also be used in the layout tests? Looking through the spec there
are APIs for mimicking mouse and keyboard interaction. This is pretty much
what EventSender does, so could WebDriver replace the EventSender?

> Currently Chromium supports this API through a separately distributed
> binary.  I wanted to get some feedback on the idea of supporting WebDriver
> in WebCore itself (perhaps as a WebCore module, or perhaps in a similar way
> as the WebKit Inspector).  The main benefit of this would be that the
> WebDriver implementation could be shared among all interested WebKit ports.

Continuing with the idea of WebDriver replacing the EventSender, I do
wonder if it would be OK to bypass the native toolkit event handling and
push the events straight into the WebCore's EventHandler.

Also, the Capabilities and MutableCapabilities seem to do what is currently
being done through either window.internals.settings or
testRunner.overridePreference(), so this seems another thing for what the
WebDriver implementation could be used instead of aforementioned object and
method in layout tests.