[webkit-dev] new -webkit-user-select value: atomic

Alice Cheng alice_cheng at apple.com
Mon Jul 23 15:54:22 PDT 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Alice Cheng <alice_cheng at apple.com> wrote:
> We intend to work on an experimental implementation of a new -webkit-user-select value that we are calling "atomic". This value causes the element to which it is applied to behave atomically for selection purposes; either all of none of the element and its contents are contained in the selection.
>
> Could you give us an example of how this properly might be used?
>
> The "user-select"  property is not currently specified in any CSS specification, but we intend to start discussion on www-style.
>
> Yes! Given that IE10 now supports -ms-user-select, it is imperative that we spec this property in the CSS working group.
>
> Firefox implements this property (prefixed with "-moz"). They have a value, "all", that superficially behaves like "atomic", but has some different behavior under incremental selection, which is why we're not using that value.
>
> Could you elaborate more on the difference? Maybe the difference is small enough that it makes sense to reuse "all". e.g. Mozilla might be willing to change their behavior for "all".

Mozilla is not selecting atomically using shift + right. It also does not select atomically upon dragging. These might just be bugs, but we do hope Mozilla will clarify their behavior via the www-style thread.

Here is a link: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jul/0541.html

> - Ryosuke

Thanks,

Alice