[webkit-dev] new -webkit-user-select value: atomic

Alice Cheng alice_cheng at apple.com
Mon Jul 23 15:32:20 PDT 2012

We intend to work on an experimental implementation of a new -webkit-user-select value that we are calling "atomic". This value causes the element to which it is applied to behave atomically for selection purposes; either all of none of the element and its contents are contained in the selection.

The "user-select"  property is not currently specified in any CSS specification, but we intend to start discussion on www-style.

Firefox implements this property (prefixed with "-moz"). They have a value, "all", that superficially behaves like "atomic", but has some different behavior under incremental selection, which is why we're not using that value.

Since the property name is prefixed, we don't intend to prefix the new value.

Alice