[webkit-dev] WebKit memory instrumentation

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Mon Jul 23 11:55:18 PDT 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 11:14 AM, Zoltan Herczeg <zherczeg at webkit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> parts(DOM, CSS, JavaScript etc) . Currently there is  a real-time chart in
>> Web Inspector that shows the render process memory broken down into
>> several
>> components:
>
> Unfortunately this part is removed by the mail server, and from webkit-dev
> archives, but as far as I remember (we measured the memory consumption of
> webkit several times before), the main memory consumers were
> JavaScriptCore (to reduce GC calls) and Resource caches, not rendering.

This is no longer true, with accelerated compositing. Compositing layer
backing stores (under GraphicsLayer) can easily be the highest consumer of memory
on a web page. It's a glaring omission from your chart in the inspector.

GraphicsLayers already report memory use (via backingStoreMemoryEstimate()).
This should be easy to hook into the graph.

Some other high consumers of memory that I think you're ignoring:
* audio and video media elements
* Web Audio
* decoded images

Simon