[webkit-dev] About WebIDL supplemental interfaces

Kentaro Hara haraken at chromium.org
Thu Jul 19 08:20:19 PDT 2012

Hi Andrei

> I'm asking this because CSS Regions spec defines the Region interface as an
> WebIDL supplemental interface that needs to be implemented by any object
> that can be a region (Element, Pseudo elements etc.). Is there a way in
> WebKit to write an interface that "implements" another as specified by
> WebIDL?

Currently, no. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

> However, WebKitIDL defines "Supplemental" more like a "partial interface":
> http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitIDL#Supplemental

The current WebKitIDL implementation is "on the way". Eventually we
want to remove the [Supplemental] IDL attribute and support the "A
implements B" syntax as defined in the WebIDL.

Do you have any alternative solution to make CSS Regions work without
the "A implements B" syntax? If no, maybe it's time to consider
supporting the "A implements B" syntax (, which would require a
substantial amount of work though:-).

Kentaro Hara, Tokyo, Japan (http://haraken.info)