[webkit-dev] Comments in the code (Was Please include function-level comments in change log entries)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Jul 13 10:56:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Stephen Chenney <schenney at chromium.org>wrote:

>  I don't doubt there are poor comments, both outdated and useless. That's
> a reviewing failure. You have simply highlighted the fact that any standard
> for comments requires reviewer attention. Hence "cost of maintaining
> comments".

I don't know how to review a patch and make sure all relevant comments are
updated.

As I have illustrated before, you can be modifying a function X, then a
completely random function A which calls B that in turn calls C that in
turns D ... that in turn calls X may have a comment dependent on the
previous behavior of X without ever mentioning X. How am I supposed to know
that there is such a comment?

- Ryosuke