[webkit-dev] Comments in the code (Was Please include function-level comments in change log entries)

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Fri Jul 6 16:09:38 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> It DOES. Even today, I find many comments (even FIXMEs) that are
> out-of-date. Say you add a some comment to a function A because of some odd
> behavior of another function B, which A calls. Someone awesome later gets
> rid of the odd behavior in the function B by modifying yet another function
> C, which B calls. Now, how is this awesome person supposed to know to update
> the comment in A?

Although I mostly agree with Ryosuke on comments... Since this subject
comes from time to time, shouldn't we try having class comments as an
experiment the help newcomers?

If someone can come with good description for a class, review it. If
class comments become harmful, they are easy to remove.
I doubt many classes will benefit from such comments anyway.

Benjamin