[webkit-dev] Adding the Vibration API to WebCore

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Tue Jan 31 10:00:21 PST 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:50 PM, 권기홍 wrote:

>> For game pads that have vibration feedback, there's obviously a tie-in
>> with the joystick API here:
>> <https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-August/017757.html>
>
> Thanks for your comments Simon.
> I can see your point. However, while they can be tied-in each other, the current specs are not related between them. Perhaps, I envisage the next version of the vibration API might include the GamePad vibration feature, though I still think that the current vibration API and the GamePad API are sufficiently meaningful to be implemented in WebKit.

My comment was actually meant to be somewhat facetious, and intended to reflect how arbitrary the new APIs are. Why support GamePad input, and not TV remote control input? Why only deal with vibration on a mobile device, and not other kinds of hardware feedback? I don't think they are good APIs.

Simon