[webkit-dev] Changing the implementation of KURL

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Fri Jan 27 00:22:50 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:
> > Instead of doing all of this work, have you considered just treating
> > GoogleURL in much the same way as WebKit treats ANGLE?  You could perhaps
> > just commit a copy of GoogleURL into Source/ThirdParty, and then WebKit
> as a
> > whole could switch to a consistent KURL implementation.
>
> WTFURL is a copy of GoogleURL adapted to WebKit so I hope "it is not
> gonna be too much work" (tm). :)
>
> As I understand, it was decided 2 years ago not to add GoogleURL into
> Source/ThirdParty to avoid pulling some dependencies and to have this
> important piece part of the WebKit project (I was not at that
> particular session).

Source/ThirdParty didn't exist until Aug 2010, when ANGLE was imported.
 Before
ThirdParty, there wasn't much of a convention of adding wholesale
third-party libraries
to WebKit.

There certainly was a decision made at the earlier WebKit summit to
copy GoogleURL
into WebKit, and massage it there as a path toward having only one KURL
implementation.

My point was just that the work remaining to complete that effort isn't
negligible.

Also, we seem to be successfully sharing ANGLE as-is, and that is also a
very critical
piece of software (impacting web browser security), so why not the same
approach
for the GoogleURL library?  I guess, I'm explicitly re-opening the
conversation on this
topic because it seems like the WTFURL approach will be a fair bit of work
:-)

> Also, be mindful that if your goal is to avoid having two implementions of
> > KURL, then part of accomplishing that goal is also switching Chromium
> over
> > to WTFURL.  I'm guessing that is probably not in your plans.  Do you
> know if
> > someone is motivated to make that happen?  (Chromium consumes GoogleURL
> > directly, albeit mostly through the GURL front-end, which might be
> portable
> > to WTFURL.)
>
> I assumed Adam Barth could help since he bootstrapped the whole WTFURL
> project.

I don't know... I wouldn't rule it out!

> If there is no interest from Chromium to get rid of the split, I would
> rather keep improving the current KURL than completely switch the
> implementation.

I'm personally supportive of their being only one KURL implementation.  I
think most
people are.  I just think you get there immediately by using GoogleURL
directly.

-Darin