[webkit-dev] Top 100 sites browsing tests proprosal

Tony Gentilcore tonyg at chromium.org
Mon Jan 23 03:55:49 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Aaron Boodman <aa at google.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Balazs Kelemen <kbalazs at webkit.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> As the goal is to test "real world" use case I think it can be even better
>>> to simply load the sites from network.
>>> I see only two disadvantage of that but neither of them are blocker:
>>>    1. The sites changing over time. However, as this would be a smoke test
>>> (and not a regtest or a perf test) I don't think it's a big problem
>>>    2. Cannot test offline. Well, I don't think taking part in the
>>> development of WebKit is possible without being online anyway :)
>>> Do you see other disadvantages?

>> developers to run these tests locally, this could be a serious time sink.

>> possible flakiness/failure sources.  I would never use something like this
>> as part of an automated system.
>>
>> Arguably, it's not kind to site authors to constantly reload their real
>> sites as part of an automated testing program.
>>
>> From experience using offline copies of popular sites for testing in both
>> Firefox and Chrome, I strongly suggest you go the offline route.
>
> How would you capture and replay websites offline? This is non-trivial.

Very much non-trivial ;)

Depending on which route you end up deciding to take, you might also
want to consider http://code.google.com/p/web-page-replay/ which
scrapes and replays web pages without being tied to a specific
browser. It does some fuzzy request matching and injects a bit of JS
to ensure deterministic playback w.r.t the issues Aaron mentions here.

Without something like that, it is surprisingly difficult to replay
real-world web pages.