[webkit-dev] Top 100 sites browsing tests proprosal

Pablo Flouret pablof at motorola.com
Sun Jan 22 23:45:16 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Sergio Villar Senin
<svillar at igalia.com> wrote:
> En 22/01/12 20:24, Thiago Marcos P. Santos escribiu:
>> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Pablo Flouret <pablof at motorola.com
>
>> Maybe instead of storing a local snapshot (assuming you need static
>> content for the tests), you can use a online snapshot of a top 100
>> website from http://web.archive.org for validation. Not sure if by doing
>> that you can face the same copyright issues, and... IANAL. :)
>
> Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, but my idea was not to store
> snapshots in the WebKit SVN, it will not be a developer's tool like the
> Layout tests or ref tests but something that will act similar to the
> EWS. You will not be supposed to run those tests manually, bots will.
>
> That's the reason why I was not understanding the copyright concerns. I
> know that they won't work offline, but again their purpouse will not be
> to detect regressions ASAP as the layout tests, but to complement them.

But are you planning to run test builds against live websites? That's
not very polite on people's servers (i certainly wouldn't like anyone
stress-testing my own servers for their benefit). And like some other
people said, tests that rely on network randomness are not very
reliable indicators of anything.

--
pablo flouret