[webkit-dev] Top 100 sites browsing tests proprosal

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Jan 22 11:22:06 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Pablo Flouret <pablof at motorola.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Sergio Villar Senin <svillar at igalia.com> wrote:
>> En 21/01/12 14:31, Zoltan Herczeg escribiu:
>>> Just be careful with copyright issues.
>>
>> Could you elaborate on that?
>
> I believe you'd need explicit permission from each website owner to
> keep a (public-facing) copy of the pages you intend to use for
> testing. I suppose if any local copies are stashed away somewhere and
> never published it should be alright, but IANAL.

To elaborate a bit more: most web sites are copyrighted and not
licensed under an open source license.  Therefore, you won't be able
to check them into the WebKit SVN repo.  We get around this constraint
by using things like the HTML5 specification itself as test data for
the perf tests because the HTML5 spec has a very liberal license.

Obviously, IANAL.  If you're going to do things with copyrighted
works, you'll probably want to consult an actual lawyer to make sure
you don't get yourself into hot water.

Adam