[webkit-dev] Could not find answer: Build and run Cairo Webkit on XP

cwienands cwienands at gmx.net
Fri Jan 20 07:03:19 PST 2012

Hello Brent,

Great, the WSAPoll problem has been resolved. Unfortunately now one or
potentially two new issues appeared. The MiniBrowser upon start briefly
shows the window but then immediately exits with a Dr Watson (Depends
reports an access violation). WebKit.exe crashes immediately with the error
message:

"The procedure entry point objc_initializeClassPair could not be located in
the dynamic link library objc.dll."

There was a most likely related post on the webkit-help list from Chris
Waldron back in December, titled "Webkit.exe failure", who describes most
likely the exact same problem back. I didn't exactly get the first part of
his post but I tried the WebKit.Net approach he described but that did not
work for me either (among other things I could not find a .tlb, but that's a
different story).

Here are the things I found out:
-objc.dll is provided by WinCairoRequirements.zip (copied over from the
WebKitLibraries).
-I searched the whole WebKit folder tree for occurrences of
"objc_initializeClassPair" and could not find any.
-I googled "objc_initializeClassPair" and found forum posts mentioning that
this is an Apple-private method.
-I used dependency walker trying to track down the issue. While I could not
find any evidence of "objc_initializeClassPair" in the output, I noticed
that Safari.exe was loaded (I know that some Safari DLLs should be loaded,
but the EXE seemed weird to me).
-I have Safari 5.1.2 installed.

Does anybody have an idea what could be the issue here (and how to fix it)?

Thanks, Christoph