[webkit-dev] The Care and Feeding of WebCore Modules

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Feb 28 00:29:44 PST 2012

I wrote up a short wiki page explaining how the modules system works
and how to use it when building new features:

https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/Modules

We've been making good progress refactoring some existing features to
use the system.  This refactoring both improves the hackability of
WebCore by simplifying the core objects (e.g.,
Page/DOMWindow/Document/Navigator) and paves the cowpaths for new code
to avoid bloating these objects.

In Bug 79663, Alexey asked why we were moving the WebSocket
declaration out of WorkerContext.idl and into Modules/websockets.
Viewed in isolation, I can understand why that change looks somewhat
mysterious.  Hopefully the wiki page above provides some more context
for the change.  In particular, WebSockets fits neatly into the
modules pattern.  We've already removed almost all mentions of
WebSockets from WebCore proper.  Besides one item in
WebCore::Settings, WorkerContext.idl is the last file in WebCore
proper to mention WebSockets.

Adam