[webkit-dev] Making DOMWindow less epic (was Re: WebKit modularization)

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Fri Feb 24 10:27:08 PST 2012

2012/2/24 Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>:
> I too am surprised that HTML-related APIs would be refactored as a result of modularization. This change may be justifiable on its own merits, but it doesn't seem like a logical part of a project to make self-contained features more modular. At the very least, to avoid confusion, changes like that should be kept clearly separate from the modularization effort, or else, someone could explain the relationship if there is one and its not obvious.

Fair enough.  I've detached those bugs from the larger meta bug.

These patches have a different goal than the other patches attached to
that meta bug.  Much in the same way that we've moved code out of
Frame.h over time, these patches are intended to make DOMWindow.idl
more readable.  The net result will (hopefully!) be a file that's more
focused on concerns that actually relate to DOMWindow (e.g.,
name/closed/opener/parent/top) rather than a dumping ground for every
random thing that needs to be in the global scope.

In retrospect, we should have presented this work separately so folks
could have discussed its merits separately.  I think we got tied up in
the implementation detail that the same mechanism makes both projects
possible.

Adam