[webkit-dev] Should we move methods from layoutTestController/etc... to internals?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Feb 21 12:15:10 PST 2012

Hi,

It appears to me window.internals is a superior solution to expose
cross-platform features to our test harness compared to other interfaces
implemented in DumpRenderTree and WebKitTestRunner such as
layoutTestController and friends.

Should we try to move methods of layoutTestController and friends that
expose WebCore-level features to internals? Moving methods to internals
would reduce DRT/WTR's code size, and lower the entry barrier for new ports.

For example, PlainTextController seems to exist only to expose
Range::text(). But this function can be exposed via internals for testing
purposes instead since it doesn't depend on any port-specific code.

Of course, there will be interfaces that rely on WebKit-layer code (e.g.
TextInputController) we shouldn't be moving.

Best,
Ryosuke Niwa
Software Engineer
Google Inc.