[webkit-dev] Propose adding button support to text based notifications (Was: Removing HTML notifications from WebKit)

Andrew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Tue Feb 14 18:49:44 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Jian Li <jianli at chromium.org> wrote:
> > One of the reasons for using html notifications is to allow direct
> > interaction with the notifications. Here're some scenarios from our
> > customers that want to use html notifications purely for this purpose:
>
> Does any platform provide this kind action in their native notification?
>
> If not, aren't you just repeating the same mistake as HTML notifications?

I hate to reopen this particular point of discussion again (because many
many words have already been exchanged about this on the WebApps mailing
list), but are you maintaining that we should only expose functionality in
our notification APIs that can be supported by native notification
platforms? Because that path leads to a lowest-common-denominator API that
doesn't support things like onclick events (since NotifyOSD doesn't support
clicks on notifications).

I know that some people feel that "compatibility with Growl" should be one
of our prime concerns when crafting this API, but keep in mind that  there
is disagreement on that point, the standard body explicitly made this a
non-goal, and so I think we ought to consider API suggestions on their
merits rather than in light of whether they can be mapped to any specific
native notification framework.

Anyhow, Jian, if you think this is a valuable addition, you might want to
bring it up on the standards list. I know it's come up before, but we've
always pointed to HTML notifications to address those use cases, so it
might bear reconsidering if nobody is going to support HTML notifications.