[webkit-dev] Propose adding button support to text based notifications (Was: Removing HTML notifications from WebKit)

Jian Li jianli at chromium.org
Tue Feb 14 17:59:59 PST 2012

One of the reasons for using html notifications is to allow direct
interaction with the notifications. Here're some scenarios from our
customers that want to use html notifications purely for this purpose:

1) In calendar notifications, the user might want to snooze the reminder
for some time.
2) In email notifications, it might be very convenient if the user can
archive/delete directly from the notification, since often the snippet will
provide enough context to do this.
3) In voice/video chat notifications, the user could click on "Answer" or
"Accept" button directly, instead of clicking on the notification message
and then being presented with another UI where "Answer" or "Accept" is
there.

It seems to be very useful if we could enhance the text notifications by
adding optional button support. If the underlying system does not support
showing extra buttons, it will get handled in the traditional way.

Thanks,

Jian